The area between the West Fork of the Little Pigeon and the Little Pigeon River was called “Forks of Little Pigeon”. It was here that the first court of Sevier County, Territory of the United States South of the River Ohio, was held at the home of Isaac Thomas in 1794. The first court for Sevier County, Tennessee, was held July 4, 1796 at the Court House.
Much of what is now the center of downtown Sevierville was a 428 acre land grant to James McMahan, Sevier County’s second register of deeds.
The Forks of Little Pigeon Baptist Church was organized in 1789. Spencer Clack served as church clerk for 24 years. The pastors before 1850 were Richard Wood, Elijah Rogers, Eli Roberts, James Cannon and Joseph Manning.
In 1847, trustees were appointed to superintend the building of a Methodist Meeting House in Sevierville. Methodists had been meeting in a schoolhouse.
Nancy Academy was founded in Sevierville in 1806.
Flat Creek rises in the eastern part of the county and empties into the French Broad River north of Sevierville.
Bird’s Crossroad at the head of Flat Creek was the center of an early German community composed of Jacob Bird, Adam Fox, James Baker, Michael Houk, and Jacob Derrick. St. James Lutheran Church was near Jacob Derrick’s Mill.
Wilson Station was located near the junction of the East Fork and the Middle Prong of Little Pigeon River.
Elizabeth McMurtry Webb, widow of Revolutionary War soldier, John Webb, obtained an occupancy land grant.
Other early settlers were Peter Andes, Mitchell Porter, Thomas Atchley, Sr., William Trotter, Jacob Huff, Andrew Wells, Benjamin Manning, Job Manning, Samuel Henderson, William Henderson, Samuel Blair, Hugh Blair, George and Thomas Long, Samuel Low, William Moon, Jesse Moon, and Francis Bodine.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: The cemeteries in this section were transcribed by Grace Etherton, Olene Large Cagle, Thelma Greene Reagan, Omajane Meridieth, Beulah D. Linn, David Templin, Cherel Henderson, Edward R. Walker, III.