Pleasant Hill - The Knobs
The boundaries of the Knobs are Chilhowee Mountains southwest, Chapman Highway on the north and Highway 441 on the east. The name of the "Knobs" probably is derived from the fact that the hills decrease in height as they extend from Chilhowee Mountain to the Boyd's Creek valley.
Newell's Station near the head of Boyd's Creek was the home of Samuel Newell, a lieutenant in the Battle of King's Mountain in 1780. Sevier County, State of Franklin, held its first court at the home of Samuel Newell in 1785. As a justice of the peace he was present at the first court of Sevier County in 1796.
Gist Creek was named for Spencer C. Gist whose home was located near the present White's School House.
The Pleasant Hill Methodist Church, organized in 1848, and the Antioch Baptist Church are two of the oldest churches in the area.
Springs arising on Chilhowee Mountain were reported to have curative qualities and became the site of health resorts. Dupont Springs are ideally situated on Bluff Mountain on the east end of the mountain range.
Early settlers included Henry B. Baker, Richard Varnel, Sr., and William Varnel.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: The cemeteries in this section were transcribed by Thelma Greene Reagan, Omajane Meridieth, Olene Large Cagle, George Cagle, Steve Cotham, Grace Etherton, David Templin and Cherel Henderson.