Wear's Valley is about four miles wide and six miles in length.
Colonel Samuel Wear's Fort and mill were located on the West Fork of the Little Pigeon River near the mouth of Walden's Creek in 1782 and possibly earlier.
In 1794 an Indian attack on William Crowson, his son Aaron, and Peter Percifield resulted in the death of Peter Percifield, the first burial in Crowson-Broyles Cemetery.
In November, 1824, the Baptist Church-in-the-Forks sent delegates to assist the Wear's Cove Church.
Early settlers included the Cunningham, Maddox (Mattox), Fancher, Riggin, Murphy, Taylor, Headrick, Compton, Fryer, Lawson, Lovelady, Mullendore, Nichols, Huff, and Hatcher families.
William, Rubin, James and David Walden had occupancy land grants near the head of Walden's Creek. Other early settlers on Walden's Creek were Spencer Benson and John McBryan (McBryant).
There is a tradition that "old man Walden" is buried on the present (1984) Flohe farm in the vicinity of Chinquapin Grove.
The Walden's Creek Baptist Church is located near the head of the creek.
The Rev. James Cummings (1787-1869), one of the best known pre-Civil War Methodist preachers, lived and preached in a log school house on Walden's Creek from 1846 to 1855 when a Methodist church was built.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: The cemeteries in the Wear's Cove - Walden's Creek section were transcribed by Jim Shular, Ellen Lawson Shular, Frances Shular Adams, Margaret Crabtree, and Beulah D. Linn and Blaine Atchley.