Smoky Mountain Historical Society
Welcome to our Historical Sites Page
Historical Markers in our area
These are from a website for Historical Markers
Please click on the blue text link to view information about the markers.
 Please click on the to  get driving Directions to the markers location.
These markers come from:
 
 
Marker Logo
HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 

Blount County Tennessee Historical Markers

 
The Underground Railroad Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, July 29, 2013
The Underground Railroad Marker
Tennessee (Blount County), Friendsville The Underground Railroad Friendsville Quakers and Cudjo's Cave
    Members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) came to Blount County in the 1790s looking for a place to worship in peace. Hardworking and industrious, opposing war and slavery, they developed the land and founded the prosperous settlements . . . — Map (db m81361) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Knoxville — 1E 18 — James Gillespy's Fort
    About 2 miles northeast. Attacked Oct. 13, 1788, by 300 Indians under John Watts, the half breed. Defenders held out until ammunition was exhausted. 28 were taken prisoner; 17 slaughtered and bodies burned. Thereafter the locality was called the . . . — Map (db m90458) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 49 — Alleghany Springs
    Yellow Sulphur Springs was developed on a modest scale by Jesse Kerr in 1859. In 1885, Nathan McCoy, of Indiana, built an elaborate hotel here. John Hanlon took it over in 1900, and operated it until the outbreak of World War I. It burned in 1933. — Map (db m107919) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 14 — Chilhowee
    On Abram’s Creek, near the site of the early Cherokee village, Chilhowee, William and Robert James established a water-powered cotton and woolen spinning and weaving factory. A charter for the business was issued in 1846 and the mill was evidently . . . — Map (db m58501) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — Craig Fort - 1785
    Stockade enclosing about two acres extending southwest to large spring at base of bluff. Scene of many privations, perils and heroic encounters. — Map (db m107578) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 104 — Freedman's Institute
    A three-story brick building was erected 1872-74 on this site to train blacks as teachers. Institute was begun in 1867, in a log house ½ mile north, and later moved into a new building, financed mainly by friends. By 1879, it had trained 80 . . . — Map (db m81362) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — General Sam Houston
    March 2, 1793 – July 26, 1863 Born In Rockbridge County VA Moved To TN in 1807 Taught At This Schoolhouse In 1812 Attended Porter Academy In 1813 Joined Army In 1813 In Maryville, TN Studied Law In Nashville, TN In 1818 . . . — Map (db m1733) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 5 — Houston's Station
    Established by James Houston in 1785, it stood about 300 yards east on Little Nine Mile Creek. From here, in 1786, John Sevier led 160 horsemen against the Cherokee towns. In 1788, the Kirk family was massacred about three miles south; shortly . . . — Map (db m58500) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1 E 100 — John Craig's Fort
    Site of the original settlement of Maryville. Here Captain John Craig in 1785 erected a fort on Pistol Creek to protect settlers from Indian raids. In 1793 as many as 280 men, women, and children lived within its walls for several months, surviving . . . — Map (db m58839) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 42 — Maryville College
    Founded in 1819 by the Synod of Tennessee, Presbyterian Church in the USA, as The Southern and Western Theological Seminary, its first president was Rev. Isaac Anderson, D.D. Its original buildings were on Broadway at College Street. Receiving its . . . — Map (db m36993) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — Maryville During the Civil War "A shameful...fire"
    During the antebellum period, Blount County supported abolitionism. In 1822, local Quakers and other residents formed an abolitionist society, and in the decades following, local clergymen preached against the evils of slavery. When the county . . . — Map (db m69452) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — Maryville Polytechnic School
    Dedicated with great affection and esteem by former students to the memory of Professor Charles William ("Bill Joe") Henry (1878-1935) and Mrs. Leola Landon Henry (1884-1966). Married January 1904. Founders and operators of Maryville Polytechnic . . . — Map (db m107920) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 56 — Montvale Springs
    7 ½ mi. S, this resort was termed the Saratoga of the South in stagecoach days. First advertised in 1832; Daniel Foute built a log hotel there in 1837. In 1853, Asa Watson, of Mississippi, built the Seven Gable Hotel. Sidney Lanier spent much . . . — Map (db m81363) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E46 — New Providence Church
    This Presbyterian church was founded in 1786 by Rev. Archibald Scott, of Virginia. In 1792, Rev. Gideon Blackburn built a log church here; the stones in the present wall are from a church which replaced it in 1829; the brick church replaced it in . . . — Map (db m28733) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 55 — Pride Mansion
    Dr. Samuel Pride, first Worthy Master of the New Providence Masonic Lodge, built his house here. Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, enroute to the relief of Burnside at Knoxville, billeted himself here. From 1878 to 1900 it was the Friends’ Normal Institute. . . . — Map (db m58509) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1 E 75 — Relief of Knoxville
    Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, U.S.A., arrived in Blount County with 25,000 men, Dec. 5, 1863, to relieve Gen. Ambrose Burnside besieged at Knoxville by Gen. James Longstreet. The 15th Corps camped around Maryville, the 11th around Louisville and the 4th . . . — Map (db m58836) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 6 — Sam Houston Schoolhouse
    Three miles south is the school-house built in 1796 by Andrew Kennedy and Henry McCulloch for their children. Sam Houston taught here in 1811 or 1812. He later became Governor of Tennessee, Commander-in-Chief of the Texas Army, President of the . . . — Map (db m109629) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — Sam Houston Statue
    Four separate plaques. (Text of each plaque under the photos below.) — Map (db m107921) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 51 — Samuel Henry's Station
    On the hill to the south, beside the Great War and Trading Path, later the Federal Road, Samuel Henry, Sr., built a fort by 1792. The half-breed John Watts and 200 followers attacked it in August, 1793. Henry’s first mill was authorized in 1795. He . . . — Map (db m58508) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E16 — Where Houston Enlisted
    Here, where Blount County's first courthouse stood, Sam Houston "took a dollar from the drum", thus marking his first enlistment in the United States Army, March 24, 1813. This culminated in his command of the Army of Texas, which decisively . . . — Map (db m28579) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 109 — William Bennett Scott, Sr.ca. 1821 - 1885
    William B. Scott, Sr., a free Black, migrated to East Tennessee in 1847 after increased racial tension in North Carolina. He made harnesses and saddles in Blount County’s Quaker community of Friendsville until the Civil War. In Knoxville, during . . . — Map (db m107600) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Rockford — 1E 40 — Bartlett's Station
    Nicholas Bartlett built a mill 300 ft. downstream about 1785. When Blount County was created in 1795, its mill-pond was a turning point from the Stock Creek boundary to run toward Bay's Mountain. The mill was used as a fort in the Indian troubles of . . . — Map (db m109333) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Rockford — 1E 11 — Knox CountyEstablished 1792; named in honor of — Maj. Gen. Henry Knox —
    Washington's Chief of Artillery in the Revolutionary War. Secretary of War in Washington's Cabinet. One of the founders and first secretary of the Society of the Cincinnati. Reverse: Blount County Established 1795; named in honor of . . . — Map (db m109332) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Seymour — 1E 19 — Eusebia Church
    Early settlers coming down the Great War & Trading Path in 1784-85 camped here; it was the scene of their first death and burial. In 1786 the Rev. Archibald Scott of Virginia organized a Presbyterian congregation in the area; the church was built . . . — Map (db m81365) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Seymour — 1E 22 — McTeer's Fort
    One mile south, near a large spring, Robert McTeer built a fort and mill in 1784. A branch of the Great War and Trading Path passed nearby. Reportedly, the first school in what later became Blount County was held here; it was also the first polling . . . — Map (db m108216) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Townsend — An Early Mountain Community
    In the early 1900s family farms covered the valley. Self-sufficiency was the rule in those days, but most people made use of the mill, the country store, and the blacksmith shop. The buildings assembled here represent part of a typical mountain . . . — Map (db m58475) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Townsend — Civilian Conservation Corps
    In Honor of the Civilian Conservation Corps 1933 – 1942 whose hands built roads, trails, bridges, buildings, campgrounds, and picnic areas in Great Smoky Mountains National Park for the benefit and enjoyment of the people. “If you . . . — Map (db m58440) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Townsend — 1E 13 — John Mitchel
    This Irish patriot, exiled from his homeland for revolutionary newspaper activities, settled in the cove about two miles from here in 1855. After a short stay he moved to Knoxville. The rest of his life was taken up with lecture tours and newspaper . . . — Map (db m56818) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Townsend — 1E 110 — The Little River Lumber Company
    This is the former site of the Little River Lumber Company mill complex. Founded in 1901 by Col. W.B. Townsend for whom this community is named, the company was one of the largest commercial lumber operations in the Smokies. From 1901 to 1939, the . . . — Map (db m36995) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Townsend — 1E 15 — Tuckaleechee Villages
    Near here was one of these three Cherokee villages, unoccupied when settlers arrived about 1791. A branch of the Great War and Trading Path forked here, one to North Carolina, the other to villages on the Little Tennessee. The Virginia trader, . . . — Map (db m46477) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Walland — 1E 48 — Gamble's Station
    A mile north, on Little River, Josias Gamble built a fort in 1740. Gov. William Blount came here in 1790, to pacify and disperse a gathering of settlers about to attack the Indians to recover stolen horses. The fort was never attacked, but was a . . . — Map (db m46479) HM

 
 

Cocke County Tennessee Historical Markers

 
Grace Moore Marker image, Touch for more information
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, March 6, 2011
Grace Moore Marker
Tennessee (Cocke County), Del Rio — 1C 22 — Grace Moore
    Born in a house which stood just across the creek, on Dec. 5, 1901, she was educated at Ward Belmont College, in Nashville, and after further musical study in Washington and New York, she became one of the outstanding operatic sopranos of her day. . . . — Map (db m40736) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Del Rio — 1C 73 — John Floyd Arrowood 1891-1925
    Born two miles west April 1891, Arrowood was one of the first American soldiers to be decorated for bravery in World War I. The French government, on Nov. 14, 1917, awarded him the Croix de Guerre for the rescue of several men under his . . . — Map (db m40735) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Del Rio — 1 C2 — Tennessee / North Carolina
    Tennessee Cocke County Established 1797, named in honor of Senator William Cocke (1796, 1797, 1799 to 1805) An officer of the Revolutionary Army; one of the leaders of the State of Franklin and member of the Legislature of the . . . — Map (db m40739) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Newport — 1C 57 — Governor Ben Walter Hooper
    Born in Newport on October 13, 1870, Hooper was a successful Cocke County attorney. He was elected governor and served two terms, 1911-15. His election is attributed to the influence of fusion, the coalition of the prohibition factions of both . . . — Map (db m61778) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Newport — 1C34 — Jefferson County / Cocke County
    Side A * Jefferson County * Established 1792: named in honor of Thomas Jefferson Secretary of State; formerly member of the Continental Congress; principal author of the Declaration of Independence; later Governor of . . . — Map (db m81373) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Newport — 1C20 — Kiffin Yates Rockwell
    Born in a house 500 yards south, he attended W & L University and V.M.I. Enlisted in the French Foreign Legion, August, 1914: incapacitated for infantry service by wounds, May 1915. Transferring to the French Air Force, he helped found the . . . — Map (db m28228) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Newport — Swinging Bridge
    A swinging bridge crossed the river just east of this spot, 1914-1924. It provided access to the G.L. Goughnour home on the cliff as well as access to town from Warford Road. — Map (db m126465) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Newport — The Cross
    The cross on the cliff was erected by Bob Knowles in memory of Vassar Brown, age 12, who was killed on the railroad in 1899. — Map (db m126466) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Newport — 1C 66 — The War Ford
    Located .2 mi. east on the Big Pigeon River is a strategic crossing used by the Cherokees. In Aug. 1782, Gen. Charles McDowell of Burke Co., North Carolina, raised an army of five hundred mounted militia from Morgan District to cross the mountains, . . . — Map (db m61779) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Newport — The Warford
    The Great War Path of the Cherokees forded this river just west of this spot. It was the main route linking the Watauga and Chickmauga settlements. — Map (db m126464) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Newport — 1C 19 — Whitson’s Fort
    About 2 miles northeast, south of the mouth of Cosby’s Creek, William Whitson, Jr., established a fort on the east bank of Pigeon River in 1783. It was an important frontier outpost, since there was a ford there, and the west bank of the river was . . . — Map (db m58404) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Parrottsville — Johnson's Parrottsville Slaves Origin of Tennessee Emancipation Day
    In 1842, state senator Andrew Johnson, a resident of neighboring Greene County, purchased his first slave here in Parrottsville. Her name was Dolly, and she was fourteen. Her son claimed that she approached Johnson and asked him to buy her because . . . — Map (db m92476) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Parrottsville — 1C 64 — Swaggerty Fort
    This fort, one of only two known remaining blockhouses in Tennessee, was built about 1787 by James Swaggerty for protection from the Indians. Located on land of his Uncle Abraham Swaggerty, it consists of three levels. The cantilevered structure was . . . — Map (db m61780) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Parrottsville — The Hanging of Peter ReeceSwift Retribution
     
 

Sevier County Tennessee Historical Markers

 
A Wonder of the World Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Coughlin, August 4, 2012
A Wonder of the World Marker
Tennessee (Sevier County), Gatlinburg — A Wonder of the World Great Smoky Mountains National Park
    Great Smoky Mountains National Park is one of the most pristine natural areas in the eastern United States. Breathtaking mountain scenery, rushing mountain streams, and mature hardwood forests that stretch to the horizon are protected for you and . . . — Map (db m63440) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Gatlinburg — Baskins Creek
    As the story goes..."a party of hunters come up from Knoxville an' kilt 'em a load o' bear an' drug ‘em down to the head o' the creek an' skinned ‘em. They tuk the meat but lef' the skins 'till they could come back atter 'em. Folk begun to talk . . . — Map (db m19386) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Gatlinburg — Chimney Tops Great Smoky Mountains National Park
    Can you imagine smoke wafting from the chimney-like formations on this ridge? Nearly vertical holes in the tops of these jutting rocks make them look like natural chimney flues, and mountain people named them so—Chimney Tops. The Cherokees . . . — Map (db m71926)
Tennessee (Sevier County), Gatlinburg — Chimney Tops Trail The View Is Worth the Climb
    This popular trail climbs to the unique summit formations the Cherokees called "Duniskwalguni," meaning forked antlers. Mountain people thought the twin pinnacles of quartzite and slate resembled the tops of chimneys breaking through the trees. . . . — Map (db m20069) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Gatlinburg — Gladys Trentham Russell
    Birthplace of Gladys Trentham Russell Author of: Call me Hillbilly It happened in the Smokies Smoky Mountain Family Album — Map (db m63438) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Gatlinburg — Laurel Falls Trail
    The trail ascends gradually for 1⅓ miles to Laurel Falls. It is an easy and delightful walk through a forest which was logged and ravaged by wildfire long before the park was established in 1934. For these reasons, big trees are scarce. With . . . — Map (db m105287) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Gatlinburg — Life-blood of the Mountains
    More precipitation falls in the Great Smoky Mountains than anywhere else in the eastern United States. The yearly average is about 890 billion gallons - over 60 inches. Forty-four percent of it is absorbed by the atmosphere and the luxuriant blanket . . . — Map (db m20067) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Gatlinburg — Martha Jane Ogle Cabin
    This cabin is the first house built in what is now Gatlinburg. About 1802, William Ogle selected a building site near here, in what he called "The Land of Paradise." Ogle cut and hewed the logs for the house then returned to South Carolina to bring . . . — Map (db m19389) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Gatlinburg — Mount Le ConteGreat Smoky Mountains National Park
    Here on top of Mount Le Conte you are standing more than one vertical mile above the valley below. Although other peaks in the park rise higher, Mount Le Conte boasts the tallest face (distance from base to summit) of any mountain east of the . . . — Map (db m137898) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Gatlinburg — Noah "Bud" Ogle FarmSelf-Guiding Trail
    With axe, plow, and gun, the first settlers changed the mountains, cutting into forests that were centuries old. They called this place "Junglebrook" after the dense growths of rhododendron and magnolia that bordered the streams. Between 1883 and . . . — Map (db m20419) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Gatlinburg — The American Black BearGreat Smokey Mountains National Park
    Between 400 and 600 black bears live in the park, and you could see one almost anywhere. Most bears stay in the backcountry where they feed on grass, leaves, and acorns, fruits, berries, rodents, and carrion. Only a few visit roadsides and developed . . . — Map (db m99830) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Gatlinburg — The Chimney Tops
    These twin summits of quartzite and hard slate are familiar landmarks. The peak on the right has a hole like a flue. Mountain people thought these formations looked like chimneys rising above the trees. Mountain laurel, rhododendron, blueberry, and . . . — Map (db m20070) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Gatlinburg — The Ephraim Bales Place
    It would be difficult to find a better place to imagine mountain life than this. Picture yourself growing up here as one of Ephraim and Minerva Bales' nine children. Look around. This was your world. Imagine yourself and 10 others living in this . . . — Map (db m20423) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Gatlinburg — Village Gate
    This archway is built from bricks made by the slaves of William Rober McCroskey in 1842. They are believed to be the oldest bricks in this area having been used in the first brick building erected in Sevier County. The slate roof came from the . . . — Map (db m70486) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Gatlinburg — Wiley Oakley "Roamin Man of the Mountains"
    1885 - 1954 Mountain Guide....Philosopher Naturalist....Writer Wiley loved his Mountains and all God's Creatures Therein. — Map (db m20415) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Great Smoky Mountains National Park — Indian Gap Road
    Traffic of all sorts once passed through here—Indians, explorers, Confederate soldiers, farmers with livestock herds, merchants, and families traveling for varied reasons. This is Indian Gap. The road trace that descends the hill in front of . . . — Map (db m99069) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Knoxville — 1C 8 — Knox County / Sevier County
    Knox County Established 1792; named in honor of Maj. Gen. Henry Knox Washington's Chief of Artillery in the Revolutionary War. Secretary of War in Washington's Cabinet. One of the founders and first Secretery of the Society of . . . — Map (db m100507) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Kodak — 1C 5 — Dumplin Creek Treaty
    About 2 mi. E., at mouth of Dumplin Creek, was Henry's Station, founded by Maj. Hugh Henry. Here, the state of Franklin, represented by John Sevier, and the Cherokee Nation, represented by Ancoo, Chief of Chota, signed, on June 10, 1785, the treaty . . . — Map (db m82598) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Kodak — 1C 43 — Henry's Station
    Founded by Maj. Hugh Henry, it was 300 yards from here. On June 10, 1785, the Treaty of Dumplin Creek was signed here by commissioners of the State of Franklin and the chiefs of the Cherokee Nation. Blount, Hamblen, Jefferson, Knox and Sevier . . . — Map (db m32782) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Kodak — The Kelly Family Farm Seven Islands State Birding Park
    Prior to the creation of Seven Islands State Birding Park, several generations of the Kelly family farmed and lived on this land. The French Broad River's "Kelly Bend" name comes from the family, however, the Kellys called it "Seclusion Bend". . . . — Map (db m110595) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Kodak — Treaty of Dumplin Creek
    The only treaty made by the state of Franklin was signed here after some negotiation. Commissioners were John Sevier, Alexander Outlaw, and Daniel Kennedy. Signatory Cherokee chiefs were the King of the Cherokees, Ancoo of Chota, Abraham of . . . — Map (db m33197) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Newfound Gap — Land of Diversity Great Smoky Mountains National Park
    Few places in North America sustain a greater variety of life than the Great Smoky Mountains. The forests, streams, and meadows here support more than 100 types of native trees, some 50 kinds of fish, some 1,500 flowering plants, more than 240 bird . . . — Map (db m58920) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Newfound Gap — New Gap, New Road Morton Overlook — Great Smoky Mountains National Park —
    I do not . . . favor the scarring of a wonderful mountainside just so we can say we have a skyline drive. It sounds poetical, but it may be an atrocity. Harold Ickes, Secretary of the Interior, 1935 It’s not easy to travel through the . . . — Map (db m58919) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Newfound Gap — Rockefeller Memorial
    For the permanent enjoyment of the people. This park was given one-half by the peoples and states of North Carolina and Tennessee and by the United States of America, and one-half in memory of Laura Spelman Rockefeller by the Laura Spelman . . . — Map (db m3268) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Broady Dairy
    Dr. Robert A. Broady, a practicing Sevier County physician from 1937 to 1983, began a dairy at this site around the 1940s with one half-breed Jersey cow. A family whose child was suffering from diphtheria needed money for treatment in Knoxville . . . — Map (db m72720) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Dolly's Childhood Home
    This cabin is a replica of the Parton home place where Lee and Avie Lee Parton raised Dolly and her 10 brothers and sisters. The replica cabin was constructed by Dolly's brother Bobby, and the interior was reproduced by her mother Avie Lee. Most . . . — Map (db m14634) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Early Pigeon ForgeThe Growth of a Small Town
    At the beginning of the twentieth century, Pigeon Forge was a busy farming community. Merchants, millers, blacksmiths, and other businesses clustered around the Pigeon Forge Mills to support local agriculture. J.A. Householder and Son advertised in . . . — Map (db m95993) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — First Baptist Church Pigeon Forge
    Memories of First Baptist Church Pigeon Forge bring to mind a congregation whose fellowship was warm and rich, like an old homecoming and so much at ease, recalled one former pastor, Dr. William W. Cope. Baptists began meeting on River Road at a . . . — Map (db m95995) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — First United Methodist Church of Pigeon Forge and Pigeon Forge Academy
    First United Methodist Church of Pigeon Forge was initially part of the Pigeon Forge circuit in the Knoxville District of Holston Conference. Circuit riding preachers served this church, Huskey’s Grove, Pleasant Hill, Walden’s Creek and Wear’s . . . — Map (db m134046) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Fort Wear
    Col. Samuel Wear built Fort Wear in this vicinity about 1781, the year that Cornwallis surrendered at Yorktown. Fort Wear was one of nearly a dozen forts built in the 1780s in Sevier County. Its blockhouse was made from sturdy hand-hewn logs and was . . . — Map (db m65923) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Henderson Springs Resort
    Henderson’s Spring, as listed in early post office records, was a place name in the Pigeon Forge area as early as 1858, just before the Civil War. Elijah Henderson, son of William H. and Mary Catherine Cannon Henderson, and his family developed a . . . — Map (db m74835) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Middle Creek United Methodist Church & Settlement
    The Church By 1787, Methodist Circuit Riding Preachers were traveling throughout this vast wilderness region with a Bible and a saddlebag, ministering in frontier settlements. At Middle Creek, open-air revivals known as camp meetings were . . . — Map (db m134045) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Native American Sea EagleDollywood Park
    Did you know…*Our National bird is of the order Falconiformes and first appeared 25 million years ago. It is the only native American eagle & the only eagle species living strictly in North America.

*This regal-looking bird is a superb . . . — Map (db m99829) HM

Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — 1C-17 — Pigeon Forge
    About 3/4 mile southeast, Isaac Love operated a forge on the site of the flour mill on Pigeon River in 1820, making bar iron. Ore came from an ore bank about 3 miles east, later, pig-iron came from Sweden Furnace, 5 miles east. Forge hammer . . . — Map (db m82600) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Pigeon Forge Attractions
    When Pigeon Forge began transforming itself from a quiet farming community into one focused on tourism, the town adopted the slogan “Action-Packed.” It’s an appropriate description evidenced by the diversity and sheer number of . . . — Map (db m134050) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Pigeon Forge Elementary School/Pigeon Forge Canning Factory
    The Sevier County School Board purchased a piece of land on the old James L. Gobble farm for a brand new Pigeon Forge schoolhouse on September 1, 1917 and paid five hundred dollars. It was located on a knoll northeast of this marker between Middle . . . — Map (db m74838) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Pigeon Forge Iron Works How Pigeon Forge Got Its Name
    Before white settlers arrived, Native Americans called this river “Pigeon” or “woyi.” Countless numbers of wild passenger pigeons gathered at this natural habitat of abundant beech and oak trees. Their sheer numbers . . . — Map (db m66133) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Pigeon River Railroad
    Pictured is locomotive # 20. It ran along Smoky Mountain Railroad tracks and possibly traveled into Pigeon Forge on the Pigeon River Railroad line just before the line was abandoned about 1929. The Pigeon River Railroad was incorporated in August . . . — Map (db m65919) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Pine Grove Rural Community
    Pine Grove was once a rural community of sprawling farmlands before it was enveloped by the rapidly expanding vacation city of Pigeon Forge in the early 1980s. The frontier settlement first became known as Fort Wear in the 1780s when Revolutionary . . . — Map (db m123730) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Sevier County Veterans Memorial
    This memorial is dedicated to the memory of the veterans of Sevier County who gave their lives to defend our country World War I United States Army Allen, Lavator L. ∙ Atchley, Amos ∙ Blazer, Victor ∙ Cate, Ashley J. . . . — Map (db m82939) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — 1C 4 — Shiloh Church
    in 1802 Methodist Bishop Francis Asbury preached in the home of Mitchel Porter, Revolutionary Veteran, who lived 2 miles north of Sevier County and preached in the newly built log chapel, 400 yards west of here. Shiloh Cemetery grew up around . . . — Map (db m17197) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — 1C 4 — Shiloh Church
    in 1802 Methodist Bishop Francis Asbury preached in the home of Mitchel Porter, Revolutionary Veteran, who lived 2 miles north of Sevier County and preached in the newly built log chapel, 400 yards west of here. Shiloh Cemetery grew up around . . . — Map (db m17199) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Titanic Eternal Flame1912 - 2012
    In memory of those who lost their lives — Map (db m58479) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Titanic’s Center Anchor
    The center anchor weighed 16.8 US tons, almost twice the weight of the standard port and starboard anchors which weighed 8.84 US tons each. The replica of this anchor will give you an idea how massive the center anchor was on the Titanic. — Map (db m58478) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Unionists Within the ConfederacySevier County Home Guard
    When the Civil War began, Sevier County Unionists at first operated quietly in secessionist Tennessee. In 1861, they set up a secret garment factory in the second floor of this mill and made cloth for uniforms. They also made shoes for Federal . . . — Map (db m65704) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — 1C 16 — Wear's Fort
    Col. Samuel Wear settled near the Mouth of Waldens Creek in 1783. He fought at Kings Mountain and later in Indian Wars, was first county court clerk of Sevier County. State of Franklin, and held the same office later under the territorial government . . . — Map (db m17201) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — 1C 31 — "Old Dutch Settlement"
    Here was an early German settlement. First settlers were Jacob Derrick, Jacob Bird, and Adam Fox. A fort stood on Derrick's land nearby. Mark Fox was killed by Indians on Muddy Creek, 1787; he was buried in Fox Cemetery. An early Lutheran church is . . . — Map (db m40732) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — Battle of Fair Garden Furious Clash of Cavalry
    On January 25, 1864, Confederate Gen. James Longstreet ordered Gen. William T. Martin to eject Union cavalry from an area south of the French Broad River stretching from Dandridge to the Little Pigeon River. The next day, Union Gen. Samuel D. . . . — Map (db m110558) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — Dwight and Kate Wade HouseNational Register of Historic Places
    This Property Has Been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m135189) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — 1C 14 — Forks of Little Pigeon Church
    100 yards N.E. this Baptist Church, established 1789, was reportedly the first of any denomination in Sevier County. Spencer Clack, a Revolutionary veteran, was first church clerk; Richard Wood first pastor until his death in 1831. The . . . — Map (db m17100) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — 1C 14 — Forks of Little Pigeon Church
    100 yds, N. E. this Baptist Church, established 1789, was reportedly the first of any denomination in Sevier County. Spencer Clack, Revolutionary veteran was first church clerk; Richard Wood; first pastor until his death in 1831. The Church moved to . . . — Map (db m62675) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — Forks of the Little Pigeon Cemetery
    This churchyard is one of the oldest Baptist churchyards in Tennessee, (Established in 1789). It is the final resting place for many prominent pioneers. Deeded to the City of Sevierville by The First Baptist Church of Sevierville in 1975. It was . . . — Map (db m17110) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — Forks of The River Cemetery Park
    Established in 1976 as a community bicentennial project, this park is significant because it is both the final resting place for several early settlers and decision makers and it is one of the last undeveloped areas that was part of the State of . . . — Map (db m38417) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — Harrisburg Covered Bridge
    The Harrisburg Covered Bridge, located in Sevier County, Tennessee, was built by Elbert Stephenson Early in 1875 and restored in 1972. That restoration was a joint effort through the Great Smokies Chapter and the Spencer Clark Chapter of the . . . — Map (db m40731) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — 1C 55 — Harrisburg Covered Bridge
    400 yards south, this bridge was built over the East Fork of the Little Pigeon River in 1875 by Elbert Stephenson Early, an area resident who owned Newport Mills. The bridge had deteriorated and its loss was threatened until it was restored in 1972 . . . — Map (db m82601) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — Hon. Lieut. Spencer Clack 1740-1832
    Pioneer settler of Sevier Co. Named Sevier Co. for his friend the great John Sevier Member Convention 1796 Member Legislature 1801 Served under Gen. Washington in Revolutionary War Erected by The Spencer Clack Chapter Daughters of The . . . — Map (db m135190) HM WM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — 1C 81 — Isaac Dockery1832 - 1910
    A native of Sevier County, Isaac Dockery, an African-American brick maker and mason, established brick kilns near Sevierville. After the Civil War, he built or made bricks for many buildings in Sevierville including the Masonic Lodge (1893), New . . . — Map (db m82669) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — Isaac Thomas1735 - 1819
    A soldier of the American Revolution, Isaac Thomas guided John Sevier's army to King's Mountain as well as serving with him in many battles against the Indians. Believed to be the first permanent white settler in this area, Thomas lived with and . . . — Map (db m82670) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — James Crawford Murphy1807-1894
    Benefactor of Murphy College 1890-1936, for whom it was named, this prominent farmer and merchant first come to Sevierville as a tanner in 1833. He returned again to Sevier county 1847 with his wife, Mary “Polly” Smith (1811-1894), . . . — Map (db m52079) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — James McMahan1750 -1831
    First Register of deeds of Sevier County, Tennessee, in 1796, James McMahan set aside the original twenty-five acres for the creation of the township at "The Forks of The Little Pigeon" in 1795. An immigrant from Ireland, McMahan was married to . . . — Map (db m17107) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — 1C 44 — John Porter McCown
    Born 1/4 mi. SE, Aug. 19 1815. Graduate USMA, 1840. Brevetted captain at Cerro Gordo, Mexican War. Resigned 1861 for the Confederacy; rose to rank of major general. Commanded at New Madrid, Madrid Bend, Island No. 10 and later East Tenn. Dept. . . . — Map (db m82671) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — 1C 88 — Knoxville, Sevierville & Eastern Railway(KS & E)
    The eastern terminal of this 28-mile shortline stood southwest of this site. It was established in 1907 by Knoxville industrialist W.J. Oliver and constructed by his firm. The KS & E and its successor companies were dubbed "Knoxville, Slow & . . . — Map (db m82672) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — 1C 13 — Nancy Academy
    Founded on this site in 1806, this school was named for Nancy Rogers, first white child born south of French Broad River. First trustees were James Reagan Hopkins Lacey, Thomas Hill, Allen Bryant, Isaac Love. The Legislature authorized a lottery to . . . — Map (db m17195) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — 1C-86 — New Salem Baptist Church
    Isaac Dockery, an African-American artisan, along with African-American families of Sevierville, built New Salem Baptist Church in 1886. It is Sevierville's oldest surviving building and the county's oldest brick church and only historic . . . — Map (db m133730) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — New Salem Baptist ChurchBuilt 1886
    Built as a Union church for the worship of any denomination that chose to use it. Leaders in the church movement were Isaac Dockery, Alf McMahan, John Burden, Mrs. Addie McMahan, Mrs. Nancy Coleman and Witt McMahan. Squire and Mrs. Bob . . . — Map (db m133837) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — Sevier County VeteransPast - Present -Future
    Dedicated to the Sevier County Veterans Past - Present - Future Nov. 11, 1995 Vernon Dale Gillespie, Sculptor Separate Marker: Honor list of dead Sevier Countians who have given their lives during and since World War I . . . — Map (db m17159) WM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — 1B44 — Sevierville
    Settled about 1783, this town, first called "Forks of Little Pigeon," was organized as county seat of Sevier Co.,1795. Indian trader, Isaac Thomas' home was first courthouse, fort and tavern. Jas. McMahon gave 25 acre tract for the town, which . . . — Map (db m17102) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — 1C 32 — Sweden Furnace
    5 miles northwest, this was first called Short Mountain Furnace, using local orebank ore. Started about 1820 by Robert Shields; William K. Love and brothers operated it about 1830. Micajah C. Rogers bought it and changed its name in 1836. It closed . . . — Map (db m100497) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — The Mayors of the City of Sevierville
    Several attempts were made in the incorporation of the city of Sevierville since its founding in 1795, but it was not until 1901 that a continuous chartered city government was established. Ambrose M. Paine was elected Sevierville's first mayor on . . . — Map (db m52081) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — 1C 69 — The McMahan Indian Mound
    This Mississippian substructure,16 ft. high and 240 ft.in circumference, built during the Dallas phase (1200-1500), was first excavated in 1881, with artifacts being sent to the Smithsonian. Later excavations exposed nearby villages of the Woodland . . . — Map (db m17194) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — Thomas Atchley1755-1836
    A soldier of the colonial army of 1776, and a veteran of the American Revolution, 1776-1781, Thomas Atchley served alongside private Andrew Jackson in 1794 under the command of Brigadier General James Robertson in the Indian Wars of the lower . . . — Map (db m17103) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — Timothy Reagan1750 - 1830
    A soldier of The American Revolution, Timothy Reagan fought in the Battle of Brandywine in 1777 with Major General Marquis de Lafayette where both men were wounded in 1795, Reagan forged into the wilderness of The Middle Creek area of Sevier County . . . — Map (db m17105) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — William M. Whaley1789-1880
    One of the many volunteers of the War of 1812 which earned Tennessee its nickname, William Whaley came to Sevier County in 1810. A farmer and later Baptist minister, Whaley married in 1811 Mary Ann Ogle (1793-1880). A resident of the White Oak Flats . . . — Map (db m52080) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Seymour — 1C 3 — Newell's Station
    Early fort established here, 1783 by settlers in Boyd's Creek Valley. Samuel Newell, Revolutionary Captain, was leader of the settlement. Sevier Co., state of Franklin, held its first court here. Also seat of government for the . . . — Map (db m32780) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Seymour — 1C 12 — The Great Indian War Trail
    A branch of the Great Indian War & Trading Path came up the valley of this creek, named for a Virginia trader killed by Indians in 1775. Col. William Christian's punitive expedition used it in 1776, crossing the French Broad River. John Sevier broke . . . — Map (db m32686) HM